Wednesday, October 2, 2013

CC #1: Minute of Silence

     Arkansas has recently decided to make a law where all schools in Arkansas have to have a minute of silence. Just a few months after the bill was a passed an article by KOLR10 News entitled, Minute of Silence A State Law for Arkansas Classrooms, was released to inform people in Arkansas who had not heard of this new law. KOLR10 interviews Alan Wilbourn, man with the Fayetteville school district, and Tim Kennedy, chairman of the local chapter for the Arkansas Civil Liberties Union, about the minute of silence each school has to partake in the mornings.
     In the interview, Mr. Wilbourn states that, "it's purely an opportunity for students to spend the sixty seconds of silence however they choose." The one minute of silence is created for students who need a little quiet time to think about their lives, their day, their friends, etc. Alan Wilbourn wants local or non-local citizens to know that the minute of silence isn't just for nothing, but the student can choose how they want to spend their free minute with no interrupting vocals from anyone.
     "You start with the idea that 'Well this is just a moment of silence,' and then advance from that position into where they would approve of prayer in public schools," says Tim Kennedy. Even though prayer is an option for these students that doesn't mean that they're all going to prayer. Many of the students just continue on with their bell work or anything else a teacher hands them. Mr. Kennedy may not stand by prayer in school, but there is no need to jump to conclusions in which he wants everyone else to do so as well.
     Alan Wilbourn argues with Tom Kennedy, "If you want to pray in your head, that's fine, that's totally up to you and that's been an option at school since time began." Wilbourn brings up a good point that yes some students in this school may pray, but they've had that right before the minute of silence was put into a law. Kennedy believes that the minute is just an excuse to get prayer back into schools. Alan does add that praying is one of the options during the sixty seconds.
     My connection from this article is towards my school in Batesville, Arkansas. During the minute of silence my classmates around me usually just continue on with the bellwork we have received. I do not know very many students who sit at their desk and pray or think of their lives and such. Most of my classmates actually talk during this minute therefore I know they are not paying any attention towards the silent part of the minute. Of course there may be students in my school who pray, but that decision is up to them and not me or the school boards.
     I actually agree with the minute of silence, because in that whole sixty seconds with no sounds I can focus more on whatever I am working with. A lot of the time I usually do think about my life and what is going on. I have problems at home I usually think about, but the minute still helps me by giving me 'me time.' My opinion is that we should not get rid of the minute of silence, because that minute can be helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment