Friday, February 8, 2013

Book Review 1: TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY

Have you ever considered suicide an option whenever your life slow escalates down? Hannah Baker, a teenage girl, decided this was her only option to get out of her problems. In TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY, author Jay Asher shows us almost through Hannah's eyes all of the troubles she endured. In my opinion, she should not have ended her life so sudden.

The main theme of this book is on how to choose the way to handle your problems. For instance, Hannah had problems trusting her friends and for that matter trusting anyone. She went to parties and had friends, but her friends seemed to not care so much for her as she did them. Instead of just ignoring these people and gaining new friends, Hannah decided she would make matters worse and make 13 tapes on why these certain people made her kill herself.

The authors style on this book really made me angry. I absolutely despised on how one second you could be reading a part where Hannah was describing her past and then the next part you would be reading what Clay was doing and what he thought about the words he just heard on the tape. I couldn't really understand where the writing was going. One second I felt as if I was there in Hannah's room and then the next second I was sitting on a bus. I disliked that feeling. I wanted to just be in Hannah's room thinking on why she decided she wanted to kill herself. This book actually is very unique compared to what I've read. Just like I said before, I felt as if I was in two places at once.

Hannah. I have decided to talk about Hannah, even though she is not the one narrating the story of the book, she is the main character. Hannah is a teenage girl who has normal teenage problems. People treat her awful behind her back, everyone lies about her, and to start all of this off she has just moved to a new town where she wants to feel accepted. Some times as I was reading her story I compared myself to her. Because I too go through these exact same problems as her. I do like Hannah. For a few moments I felt as if we could be the same person. The only dislike I have on her is that she decided to end her life to get away from her whole mess. That is not the way Hannah should have handled the situation, but she did.

The setting is simply Clay listening to Hannah's tapes and going around the town to the places Hannah's tells her listeners to go. For instance, Clay goes to peoples house, restaurants, and even a certain classroom in his own school. During this time he brings in other characters that are in the book as well.

The connection I must make is to myself. Hannah and I have gone through the same problems, as well as many other girls. Personally I felt as if I was reliving these problems over and over again as I read. I know what it is like to have friends who do nothing but lie behind your back, but instead of committing suicide I simply ignored them all. Nobody needs people like that in their lives.

Would I recommend this book to anyone? Yes, I would. I would recommend this book to just about every teenager in the world. Not just girls, but boys too. Every teenager going through any problems should read this book. In fact, any teenager or anyone for that matter, who is thinking about committing suicide should definitely read TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY.

No comments:

Post a Comment